Monday, June 15, 2009

NOW and LATERS.

I remember sitting in the house on hot summer days, watching Tom&Jerry, never realizing neither of them could speak. I sat there so in love with their musical chaos yet bored with the chase. When was Tom finally going to outsmart Jerry??? Later. My sister was much older than me, so she assumed she had a philosophy on every aspect of life. Later: Tom would get "tired of all that nonsense and Jerry would just get tired of running in circles and Later they'd just get along"?! Lol, for an eight year old, she had a pretty good solution, or perhaps as a four year old, i wasn't ready to rebuttal?! Either way, Later never came and it seemed like the games they played got crazier, the music grew louder, and eventually i realized them foos never said a word?!! ...they just made a bunch of noise, & it hit me! What if Later shows up too Late?

Back in those days when you grew weary of sitting in front of the television, you didn't just move to the other side of the room to gawk at a smaller, more addictive screen, you actually went outside. So like any normal child of the 80s, i'd grab a jump rope and skip my Lu to the end of the block, hoping for an ice cream truck jingle. You were never really allowed to go past the gate, but when the ice cream truck showed up, all the kids came rushing out with their nickle and dimes. Soon "zippitee doo dah" was drowned out by the sound of clashing coins found wedged within living room sofas. I never had much, but even a penny had value then. So i'd empty my pockets for a few Now And Laters, maybe a blow pop, a Tootsie roll, the cigaroll gum i had to sneak because "smoking is never funny or cute, so why act like it". ...My mom had so many staples drilled into my head growing up, but when i asked her why my hard & chewy candy was called a Now & Later after all, she simply replied "if i were you i'd eat it Now and save the questions for later"! ...still I could always trust my sister to come up with something, so ms. philosophical herself decided it was always good right here & now, but Later it leaves that Big oh mess! She was speaking of the stains left in your mouth, and as I reminisced these moments, I catapulted back to my NOW....

We never really understand what kids are saying, but sometimes the darnest things they say are the things we ought to figure out! So i took mom's up on her offer, i settled for the here & now, putting off all these questions hoping Later we'd be like Tom &Jerry, somehow getting along. But something went wrong and Tom never outsmarted Jerry...the show was cancelled and so was LOVE. You can only catch a re-run, but it's not the same...

I remember writing you letters, never signing my name, but sincerely leaving you with "LATER,"...i knew there was always more i had to say, more to give, more to us, but we'd get to it all....

LATER,
or so i thought.

No comments: