Monday, June 1, 2009

Paint Me A Picture & Color me BLACK!


Paint me a picture and color me BLACK
I want less in the front
More in the back
Take the strands of my hair
Don’t straighten my kinks
Not just a woman with curves
Make me a lady that thinks

I want youth like Angela
Basset like eyes
Influence like Oprah
Cheek bones High
Strength like Panthers
With Malcolm’s pride
PEACE like Martin
A million man stride

I want CHANGE like Obama
Intellect like Michelle
The LOVE of CHRIST like MY MOMMA
Love deep like a well
All Hale, the Black Queen Speaks!
All Rise, embrace shame with Defeat!

I want words like Maya
So Angelou’s of the world
Take a long hard look at America’s girl,
She is all grown up
Past the tears of abuse
Past the fear of progression
Yes SHE is your Muse

So paint me a picture and color me BLACK
Propel me forward
I refuse to sit back!


Like Rosa make me deliberate
Like History we out live it
We OVERCOME like FREEDOM
So make me SING
Let all nations ring
Cuz this black girl
Is a BEAUTIFUL thing!

*Know, Love, Embrace Yourself, You are the standard!


Feb. 21, 2009



No comments: